Sunday, September 27, 2009

Protesting makes me hungry

On Monday last week I attended a flash mob for action on climate change organized by 350.org at the Otago Museum Reserve. The idea was to create a lot of noise and attract attention to ourselves and the need to reduce carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to below 350 parts per million. I brought a large empty jug that previously contained methanol (not a greenhouse gas?) from the lab and that made a low loud sound when I hit it. Other lab members brought beakers and bowls. Some people actually had semi-legitimate instruments like a recorder and African drums. A few protestors made phone calls to members of the New Zealand parliament to urge them to push for a powerful carbon tax at the climate meeting in Copenhagen in December.

Today I visited two flats on the Otago Peninsula, where I am considering moving for the summer months. I think it would be really sweet to relax out there in the warmer weather and ride my bike into town each day. I'll probably never have a chance again to live in such a beautiful place. The first flat I visited is in the village of Portobello, which has the added appeal of a weekly Farmer's Market and a volunteer fire brigade. The "flat" is a farmhouse built in the 1920s. The owner, a chef at one of Dunedin's best restaurants called Plato, has a dog, a cat, and a horse. It would be a very quiet and beautiful spot. The other place is in the village of MacAndrew Bay, which is significantly closer to town. The advantage of this place is that my flatmates would be closer to my age and perhaps a bit more interesting to live with, as the girl I met said they like listening to music and having barbecues, etc. Right now I'm leaning toward the place in Portobello. Obstacles to overcome are 1) the lease on my current flat doesn't expire until Dec 31, so I'd need to find a person to replace me for the rest of the year; 2) It looks like I'll be in the U.S. for most of December and January, so the value in moving may not be that high.

Cooking with Rogo Part II

Couscous and Vegetable Concoction
Fry carrots and courgette in oil. Add chopped onion after a few minutes. Boil 1 part water plus a bit of oil and salt. Add 1 part dry couscous, remove from heat for 5 minutes. Add some butter and stir to separate the grains. Add veggies and season with cumin and Chinese 5 spice.

Cumin and Chinese 5 Spice are some of my favorite spices. Cumin really brings out the sweetness in vegetables. This was a very satisfying dish.
Rating: 8
Try it

Broiled Sole with Cherry Tomatoes and Parmesan
Coat sole fillet in egg or milk, then cover in bread crumbs. Top with melted butter and minced garlic. Broil for a few minutes to cook. Top with parmesan and tomatoes. Season with oregano, basil, thyme, and salt. Broil a few more minutes to melt the cheese a bit.

Could be improved with a creamy sauce as opposed to straight parmesan cheese. Sole is not my favorite species of fish I discovered.
Rating: 6
Development continues


Honey mustard salad dressing
1 tbs vinegar
1 tbs oil
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp honey
touch of salt
1/2 tsp cumin
Deliciousness







Pizza Bagels


Top a real bagel (impossible to find in Dunedin) with tomato paste, mixture of your favorite cheeses, oregano, basil, garlic powder. Broil.










Satisfying Vegetable Stew

Sautee onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, cumin, paprika. Add vegetable stock, potatoes, carrots. Simmer until cooked.

Would have been better with a little pumpkin or sweet potato...and nice big chunks of beef.
Rating: 5
Development continues





Fried rice and stir fry. These consist of a bunch of vegetables and some spices (like all my dishes). Fried rice is notable for Worcestershire Sauce, Soy Sauce, Water chestnuts, and cashews. Stir fry is notable for pineapple, peanuts, fish sauce, and soy sauce. Both of them were decent.
Fried rice



















Me eating fried rice












Pineapple stir fry













Kaptain Kool likes pineapple stir fry













This week I'd like to make a good pasta sauce (with beef) and Pad Thai.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I looked up McAndrew and Portobello. Must be beautiful. If you have a chance to live in the most beautiful place you'll ever live in, how can you resist?