Sunday, October 11, 2009

Robo Rally

Last week I had a lab presentation, which has been posted here. If anything, you'll get the sense that I've been running many SDS-PAGE gels.

This weekend was the lab walk, dinner, and game night at Sigurd's house on the peninsula to celebrate three people's birthdays in October. We walked to Sandfly Bay, which I had visited a few months ago. There was quite a strong gale and so we learned why it's called Sandfly Bay--I was still grinding sand through my mouth on the drive back to Sigurd's place. The track down to the beach is a steep downhill through sand dunes, and when Sigurd started sprinting down we all joined him, which was super fun. At the beach we saw several sea lions and penguins; I got some dodgy pictures of the penguins using digital zoom. After hanging out at the beach for a while we trudged back up through the dunes and back to Sigurd's. I made pad thai which turned out quite well using this recipe. I had been practicing all week. We also had chicken casserole, sweet and sour pork, pizza, salad, and carrot cake. After dinner we all played Robo Rally, an obscure board game that Malcolm brought (He's a fan of many geeky board games and frequently travels to Cleveland, Ohio to participate in tournaments for the game "Advanced Squadleader," which is also a favorite of baseball pitcher Curt Schilling). Robo Rally is a very frustrating game in which you program a robot to turn and move along the board towards checkpoints, but are usually thwarted in your plans by conveyor belts, pits, crushers, and laser beams. Here are some pictures from the walk.



Here are pictures of some dishes I made last week. First is spaghetti--the sauce has mince, tomato paste, sugar, salt, garlic, oregano, and basil, then topped with parmesan. The sauce needed some white wine. Second is chipsi mayai rogo-style, which means fried potatoes, eggs, cheese, and tomatoes. Last is pad thai. I learned in my practice rounds that it is important to boil the rice noodles before you fry them, contrary to advice from the website linked above.





























No comments: