Saturday, November 15, 2008

I don't smoke

I'm writing from an Internet cafe in Dunedin, as web access in my room won't be available until Tuesday.

Except maybe for the wine, which flows quite freely, Air New Zealand has nothing on Emirates. Okay, let's see if I can stay awake to finish this post.

All in all, not too much disaster in terms of baggage. My bike in its cardboard box did not make the trans-Pacific flight, but I'm expecting that to be delivered to my dorm tomorrow, which will end up being more convenient than if I had to wedge it into the back of Sigurd's car. I lost a bottle of Citrus DeGreaser, which I found in Auckland had exploded all over my backpack due to the pressure difference. I removed the plastic bag carrying my bike tools to carry-on with me on the two NZ domestic flights, but then had the DeGreaser and a pedal wrench taken from me at Security. Incredibly, Sigurd brought a pedal wrench with him to the airport and has lent it to me to use when the bike arrives.

I got my first two comments on the Banta Lab t-shirt, which I sported throughout the travel marathon. The first was by a US TSA inspector, who saw the front and asked if I knew of any helpful bacteria she could put in her garden. I said I didn't know of any, that the bacteria we worked on were harmful to plants. Thirty seconds later I was kicking myself, remembering that any bacteria in the rhizobia family form symbiotic relationships with plants that are beneficial for both species. A couple flights later a woman saw my shirt and said it was "hilarious." I asked if she worked in microbiology and she said she worked in forensics, with DNA. Close enough. It felt pretty good to have the shirt noticed anyway.

The plane landed in Dunedin and when it got to the end of the runway, it promptly turned 180 degrees and taxied back to the terminal, which had two gates and one other plane. I used to think Albany was a small airport. Sigurd, my advisor, was waiting and we got my two bags and walked to the car. It was 30 Celsius outside, and I was told it would probably be the warmest day I would ever see here. My first impression of NZ from the car ride to the town--lots and lots of farmland. After a 30 minute drive, in which we discussed cycling, hiking, and NZ culture, we arrived at Carrington College, my dorm. This place shamed Williams dorms. Giant common room with fully stocked kitchen, massive flat screen TV, pool table. My room is relatively large and the bed has linens (!). Showers and toilets are sparkling.

The biochemistry building and lab is a 5 minute walk downhill from the dorm. Sigurd showed me the lab, which didn't look too intimidating, and we had a sandwich at a museum shop. Campus was beautiful, with spring in full bloom.

Sigurd dropped me back at the dorm and I took a much-needed nap, which only made me feel more out of it. This evening I walked around the town, only things open were restaurants, a fair number of them Asian. Tomorrow calls for more exploring and buying supplies.

Walking down the street two teenage girls approached me.

Girl 1: Hey I know you.
Girl 2: Yeah you smoke don't you?
Me: Half shake head, half ignore.
Girl 1: No no he doesn't smoke. He's clean.

Glad I already have a good reputation in town.

Now I'm headed back to the dorm, where hopefully I can meet the other dozen students in the summer program. And maybe wash my WOOLF jacket, which was splattered with seagull droppings right before I walked into this cafe. Life on an island I guess.

Long post for nothing really exciting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dave. I'm having trouble posting a comment, maybe this one will come thru. Thanks for the great information about your arrival. Glad your bike will be arriving soon. I can begin to see what it's like, seagulls and all.

Mom said...

"Anonymous" is Mom. Couldn't figure out how to sign the comment.

Jim said...

Hi Dave - Glad to hear that you landed OK. We were following the progress of your flight on the airline web site but weren't sure if you had made all your connections. That's a bummer about losing your wrench. But I could see where it could potentially be used as a weapon. But I wonder how you made it through U.S. security.

I'm flying to India tonight so I'll soon be on the same side of the globe as you are, albeit the northern hemisphere. But I'll only be gone a week so I won't be packing much luggage. I look forward to reading your future blog updates from there and from home upon my return.

Jim

선미 (Sunmi) said...

It's good to know you haven't changed your (non-)smoking habits since leaving the States. Also, what was the design for the Banta Lab shirt?

I hope there will be some picture posts soon. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey David. Your blog is great. The last posting was full of information. I'd love to see the Banta t-shirt. It sounds like you have packed in quite a bit already since your arrival. I'd also be interested to know the origins of the "nuclear zucchini" name.

Good to know that the dorms are comfy. I hope your bike comes soon. Is there good public transportation in town?

Have you seen any sheep yet?
Julie
p.s. I haven't figured out how to list myself as a blog follower, but we're checking in.