Sunday, November 23, 2008

A dark day

Today my bike was stolen. Welcome to New Zealand.

I rode about 7 km outside of town to a trail going up Mt. Cargill, the highest mountain in the vicinity of Dunedin. The hike was awesome and I have pictures, which I'll have to share once I stop fuming. When I arrived at the trailhead I found two options for locking my bike: either chain it to the playground or chain it to a tree. Since there were some kids playing, I didn't want to interfere with them so I chained it to a tree in a somewhat inconspicuous location. I felt safe doing this because
A) I chained my bike to trees all the time in the States and never had any problem.
B) Everyone around looked like outdoors types who would respect what I was doing.
C) Who carries a saw with them for a hike or mountain bike ride?

I did the hike, which took about 2 hrs, and upon returning found the tree sawed off and my bike no where to be seen. Feeling pretty nauseated, I inspected the parking lot, but there were no clues to be had. I stumbled back to town, found the police station, and reported the crime. It turned out there was a wait to report because a man I had seen on the hiking trail had had his car broken into. So we were victims of a professional criminal.

I can't help but feel the irony of this situation in regards to our time in Africa. In a place where people had told us we would be mugged, shot, and looted, we never had any problems. And within my first week in NZ, my bike is gone.

I had the bike for about 6 years. It was worth a fair amount, but it meant a lot more than that to me. In a strange land, my red Trek was my sole prized possession. I worked hard to keep it clean and in good repair. I suppose I'll buy a new one soon, once I scrounge up some cash and have had a bit of mourning.

4 comments:

선미 (Sunmi) said...

I... wow. I have no words. I'm really really sorry to hear that.

Mom said...

For you, this is an unspeakable loss. A blow out of nowhere. It was a beautiful bike, with lots of miles, memories, adventures, and joy. I am dumbstruck that something like this could happen in New Zealand. It makes me sad and angry.

Julie said...

David, I am so sorry to hear about your bike. It is true what you said, we were so worried about what might happen to you in Africa and yet it is in New Zealand where your bike gets stolen. You should mourn your loss with good reason. In Africa (& I suppose Shock Trauma ER, firefighting, etc.) I know you saw first hand that "things" can be replaced while life is precious. So, glad that you are okay. Maybe a new chapter will begin with a new bike.

Unknown said...

Sorry about the bike, big man. I remember getting dropped by the ol' girl in a torrential downpour up in Clarksburg. I'm sure she won't ride the same for anyone else, especially lumberjack thieves.