Monday, April 26, 2010

Rakiura

Two weekends ago I competed in the Dunedin Three Peaks footrace, which traverses Mt. Flagstaff, Swampy Summit, and Mt. Cargill. I finished the approximately 29 km course in 2:27:32, in fifth place in the overall men's category (a few masters and one woman also beat me). The weather was perfect, with sunny skies and cool temperatures. Some sections of the course required some semi-bush-bashing. Overall it was a great introduction to mountain running and a very enjoyable event.

Last weekend I traveled to Stewart Island with Emma, a friend from the biochemistry department. We rented a car and took the ferry across, then walked the Rakiura Track, a 3-day 36 km hike over rolling terrain and through pretty native bush. Emma discovered that she is not super keen on tramping or long rough boat rides, but we still had a pretty good time. Here are some pictures:



I depart New Zealand next Thursday, May 6! In August I will begin in the MD/PhD program at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Dave,

Congratulations on a strong finish in the race. That was a real challenge.

The pictures are spectacular....and I'm sure there is a story behind the hats. Michigan will be a very different landscape.

See you a a few weeks.

Aunt Lynn

Liz said...

hahah love the photos. you look just like David Attenborough in the "distinguished scientist" pose.

SteelWolf said...

That is one excellent hat.

Jim said...

Dave,

congratulations on the Three Peaks race. I'm sure that was a great feeling (and a big relief) to do so well after all your knee troubles. Too bad you're just getting introduced to mountain running as you move to Michigan.

Stewart Island looks beautiful but I know that I wouldn't have done well on that ferry ride over there. Hopefully the trip back was calmer than the trip over.

See you soon!

Jim

Mom said...

Despite sea sickness and strenuous walk, looks like you guys had a great time!