Friday, August 21, 2009

Dancing enzymes

I've discovered a new hobby for myself--making videos of dancing crystal structures. This week was the debut for my first two films. Tuesday all of the fourth year honors students gave presentations on their research and since I am a one-year Masters student, I presented as well. Some of the dance moves in the video in the presentation actually resembled conformational changes of DnaK. As a present for giving presentations, all of the students received metal spatulas with their initals engraved in!

Then today I delivered a Biochemistry Department journal club presentation on cellulosic ethanol. I talked about a paper from a group at Cal Tech who engineered a group of thermostable cellulase enzymes. Currently we have only slow and inefficient enzymes for breaking down cellulose into sugars. In the video at the end of today's presentation, cellulase's dance moves are in no way meant to depict the function of the actual enzyme. Both presentations have been posted here. They are only in pptx format because converting them to ppt format disrupts a lot of formatting.

No comments: